Skip to main content

Pan-European Voice Conference - Spain

Pan-European Voice Conference - Spain

Good evening everyone! Emily here with another Singing in Balance Blog post.

We have all been very busy over the summer working on our projects (hence lack of blog post - sorry!) 

I'm very pleased to say that Bruna, Dana and I are officially nearing the end of the first year of our PhDs! I can't believe how the time has flown and how much we have already managed to achieve both individually and as part of a team! Huge shoutout to our supervisors and project partners for supporting us thus far. I can't wait to see what we achieve this year.

Two weeks ago, Dana and I attended the 15th Pan-European Voice Conference (PEVOC).  The conference was attended by voice scientists, clinical staff (speech and language therapists and ENT doctors), voice teachers, researchers, and students from 38 different countries. PEVOC was hosted by Hotel Santemar in Santander, Spain and the programme was VERY extensive, including a wide variety of oral presentations, poster presentations, workshops, demonstrations, keynotes,  and round tables.

I presented results from my Masters research project where we hosted singing and breathing workshops for people with upper airway disorders (see below). If you are interested in this area of research, feel free to take a look at the paper (QR code below).


 

Dana presented her review of the literature on singing in virtual group settings. 


Bruna, Dana and I also collectively presented a poster about this network, Singing in Balance. 

                                                    


We had an amazing time in Spain and I can't wait for our next conference adventure!


Thank you for reading! See you next time.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Singing in VR Study - ISO Participants

We are looking for people interested in participating in a study on the psychosocial effects of Singing in Virtual Reality (VR)! If you are between 18-60 years old, not currently involved in a musical group, and interested in singing and/or VR, we would love to have you involved in this study. This study involves filling questionnaires on your wellbeing, self esteem, and social connectedness before, during, and after participating in a VR singing experience over the course of 2 weeks. You may or may not be asked to sing. Your data will be anonymised and there will be no recordings taken of your participation. What’s in it for you? By participating in this study, you will receive a £15 Love2Shop gift card and have an opportunity to use a PICO 4 Ultra VR headset. Interested in getting involved? Fill out the form below for more information! SingVR: Interest Form - Google Forms If you have any questions, please get in touch with the lead researcher, Dana Greaves, at dana.greaves@york.ac.u...

Psychology of Music Masters at the University of Sheffield

Hello all! Emily here. I am a proud graduate of the Master’s programme in Psychology of Music at the  University of Sheffield . I have recently been invited to write a piece reflecting on my experience of the course and post-course life.  The fact that I remain based in Sheffield and continue to work within the Music Department five years later speaks volumes about the quality of teaching, the depth of expertise, and the genuine care shown by professors, lecturers, and support staff in enabling each student to gain the most from their studies. I can say with confidence that I would not be where I am today without having undertaken this Master’s programme. I completed the Masters Programme in Summer 2022. For my collaborative dissertation (supervised by Prof Renee Timmers), I was partnered with Mir Jansen, the Arts Coordinator at Arts in Health (Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust), an organisation who provide craft activities for hospital staff, patients and vis...

The Singing in Balance Convention Update

Hello! Emily here! Exciting news! The Singing in Balance Network is currently in the process of organising a Convention about accessible and inclusive singing practice. It is shaping up to be a brilliant event, and we would love you to be a part of it. The Singing in Balance Convention (SiBCon) is happening on 9–10 September 2026 at The Priory Street Centre in York. It is a two-day gathering for group singing practitioners and researchers to come together, share their insights into inclusive and accessible group singing practice, and have some great conversations that can help us develop our knowledge and practice in the UK. We are currently inviting contributions from practitioners and researchers, so if any of the following sounds like you, we would love to hear from you: You work with a choir or singing group. You work in a social or healthcare setting. You're based at a university or conservatoire, or are an independent researcher. You have experience leading singing groups wit...