Skip to main content

Psychology of Music Masters at the University of Sheffield


Hello all! Emily here.

I am a proud graduate of the Master’s programme in Psychology of Music at the University of Sheffield. I have recently been invited to write a piece reflecting on my experience of the course and post-course life. 

The fact that I remain based in Sheffield and continue to work within the Music Department five years later speaks volumes about the quality of teaching, the depth of expertise, and the genuine care shown by professors, lecturers, and support staff in enabling each student to gain the most from their studies. I can say with confidence that I would not be where I am today without having undertaken this Master’s programme.

I completed the Masters Programme in Summer 2022. For my collaborative dissertation (supervised by Prof Renee Timmers), I was partnered with Mir Jansen, the Arts Coordinator at Arts in Health (Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust), an organisation who provide craft activities for hospital staff, patients and visitors. We ran a project called VoiceWorks involving group singing-related technique workshops for people with inducible laryngeal obstruction (an upper airway disorder). The workshops were led by Karen Esposito (Speech and Language Therapist) and Dr. Michael Bonshor (Vocal Tutor). This project was hugely rewarding as I got to witness first hand the power of music to positively impact people's lives, socially, physically and mentally. I then published a shortened version of my Masters Dissertation to the Music and Science SAGE journal: https://journals-sagepub-com.sheffield.idm.oclc.org/doi/10.1177/20592043241251991

Once I graduated, I was encouraged to apply for a PhD to continue researching Singing for People with Respiratory Conditions, something I never thought would be possible! I am now 2.5 years into my part time PhD (alongside working as the Music and Liturgy Administrator at Sheffield Cathedral). I still get to have hands on experience observing, researching and running my own singing sessions for people with health conditions which I find hugely rewarding. I am doing something new each week and never stop learning!

I would highly recommend considering an application if you have an interest in areas such as music psychology, music and wellbeing, cognition, learning and development, or music and health.

Please feel free to share this post with anyone who may find it relevant. An additional benefit, of course, is the opportunity to live in wonderful Sheffield!!

Further information can be found here: 
https://sheffield.ac.uk/postgraduate/taught/courses/2026/psychology-music-ma?fbclid=IwY2xjawQv-zFleHRuA2FlbQIxMABicmlkETFQRmRGdEVuaDM4TUZJOVRLc3J0YwZhcHBfaWQQMjIyMDM5MTc4ODIwMDg5MgABHshB859BBg8jc6whQz8JMaR24kwjjTzuxVZl-NwcNnjBchyxlin8D2xWy3JA_aem_iubfzQt1L_d97OqP3Figzw#apply

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to get in touch. You are also welcome to contact the Course Admissions Tutor, Stephanie Pitts: s.e.pitts@sheffield.ac.uk


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Singing in VR Study - ISO Participants

We are looking for people interested in participating in a study on the psychosocial effects of Singing in Virtual Reality (VR)! If you are between 18-60 years old, not currently involved in a musical group, and interested in singing and/or VR, we would love to have you involved in this study. This study involves filling questionnaires on your wellbeing, self esteem, and social connectedness before, during, and after participating in a VR singing experience over the course of 2 weeks. You may or may not be asked to sing. Your data will be anonymised and there will be no recordings taken of your participation. What’s in it for you? By participating in this study, you will receive a £15 Love2Shop gift card and have an opportunity to use a PICO 4 Ultra VR headset. Interested in getting involved? Fill out the form below for more information! SingVR: Interest Form - Google Forms If you have any questions, please get in touch with the lead researcher, Dana Greaves, at dana.greaves@york.ac.u...

The Singing in Balance Convention Update

Hello! Emily here! Exciting news! The Singing in Balance Network is currently in the process of organising a Convention about accessible and inclusive singing practice. It is shaping up to be a brilliant event, and we would love you to be a part of it. The Singing in Balance Convention (SiBCon) is happening on 9–10 September 2026 at The Priory Street Centre in York. It is a two-day gathering for group singing practitioners and researchers to come together, share their insights into inclusive and accessible group singing practice, and have some great conversations that can help us develop our knowledge and practice in the UK. We are currently inviting contributions from practitioners and researchers, so if any of the following sounds like you, we would love to hear from you: You work with a choir or singing group. You work in a social or healthcare setting. You're based at a university or conservatoire, or are an independent researcher. You have experience leading singing groups wit...